Wednesday, January 12, 2011

3rd Annual Springville Frost Photos

This is our 3rd winter in this house. Yesterday, the annual frosting near us occurred. And sadly, I was unable to catch any of it! I am pretty depressed about missing my opportunity.

It has happened every year without fail. Somewhere around the end of December or beginning of January, I find this amazing frost covering everything in the early morning. It has to be a very cold day (about 5 degrees or so) and this year, the conditions were finally right yesterday morning. It is absolutely gorgeous and makes for some beautiful photos. I have noticed a pattern and also believe the fog from the wetlands around us is one of the biggest contributors to the crystals. We didn't get a whole lot of that this year, but there has been some in the last few days.

I was so excited for it this year too, since I've had a lot more experience with my camera and gotten 3 new lenses since the last time it came. I couldn't wait to see what I could capture this time around!

But nature got to fool me this year. In the other 2 times that I have done this, the frost has lasted for about 3-4 mornings and I've been able to pick and choose which morning I could go out. So when I saw the frost yesterday on my way to work, I assumed it would stick around for at least 2 days for me. I was so excited, I got up earlier this morning and got ready quickly so I could have some time in the park. I was pretty sad to find that there wasn't any left.

But I have been wanting an excuse to play around with my new wide-angle, so what you get today is whatever I could capture in the old ice and snow that was hanging around the park. I figured I wouldn't completely waste the time so I did one loop around it and went off to work.

Here's what I got:











Love & Smooches!
Jocelyn

No comments: